Natural beeswax candles are my favourites; they smell of honey, are completely sustainable, and they are healthy for you (unlike the paraffin variety).
Intricate designs can sometimes cause the candles to drip, but any leftover beeswax from a candle isn’t wasted. You can use it to make tealights.
How to make tea light candles:
All you need to do is collect leftover beeswax in a cheap non-stick cooking pot and buy some reusable tea-light holders (you can even re-use the metal holders) and wicks.
For tea lights you don’t need to collect that much beeswax as long as you have enough to fill at least a couple of holders.
If you have a lot of wax, you can melt it in stages, otherwise it can take ages to melt.
Rather than buying an expensive candle melt pot, I simply use one I bought in a Pound shop – really cheap. You don’t need to spend a fortune on that.
Melt the wax in the pot on a low heat on the hob. It will take about 10 – 15 mins for all the wax to melt depending how much there is; the more wax, the longer it takes.
Keep an eye on the melting wax to avoid burning.
And once you’ve made them, you can use a large ivy leaf and cones for decoration.
But remember – always burn your candles and tea lights safely on a heat-proof surface.
Reusable tea light holders and wicks supplies (UK)
Beeswax Pillar Candles
If you can recommend alternative UK suppliers of candle making supplies, please leave a comment with a link.
If you enjoy burning candles in your home, you may be interested in the health benefits of burning pure, natural beeswax candles:
Beeswax is the only wax that is proven to clean the air when burned. No other candle can purify the air and eliminate odours naturally. Scented candles only mask odours and do not eliminate them. Beeswax candles have a natural, subtle aromatic honey fragrance.
Pure beeswax candles can be beneficial for people who have allergies, asthma or headaches due to burning paraffin and scented candles. They are environmentally friendly with a longer, cleaner and non-toxic burn.
Beeswax is the cleanest burning wax there is. Paraffin is derived from mineral oil; it burns dirty and fast, covering our homes in candle soot. Tiny soot particles linger in the air, and are said to cause cancer as they are easily inhaled. In contrast, 100% pure beeswax candles keep your home clean when burned in an environment free of drafts and wicks trimmed to 10 mm.
Beeswax candles are sustainable and can also last up to three times longer than paraffin candles. For a longer lasting burn it’s better to choose solid beeswax candles, not the honeycomb ones. That’s because the honeycomb candles are rolled and, depending on the craftsmanship, may burn unevenly. We only sell solid candles (cast in a mould), which are much better:
We’re currently offering a great 3 for 2 offer on the small candles – a great money-saving opportunity for you to experience the benefits for yourself. Once you’ve used them, you’ll never want to revert to burning paraffin candles again.
Join our mailing list and receive a 10% discount voucher in return.
You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Pinterest.